Kennedy Manor

217 West Lafayette Street, Jefferson, TX  

Kennedy Manor was originally built by Adin Powell in 1860 as a single-story Greek Revival cottage. With its two porches covering the entrances facing Market and Lafayette Streets, the house much resembled the Beard House around the corner on Vale Street. In 1907, George and Fannie Dougherty bought the house and extensively renovated it into its current Neo-classical Style which included the addition of the second story to provide rooms for a boarding house operation until 1925, when the Dougherty’s daughter converted it to apartments. When she died in 1962, she left the house to Mrs. Jessie Kennedy who had been a resident and companion since 1928.  In 1989, the home was restored to its current Victorian splendor. The spacious home has 14 foot high decorative ceilings, restored woodwork, original cypress wood floors and antique stained glass windows. Owners, Tommy and Tracey Engle. Click here to purchase Candlelight Tour of Homes® tickets…